According to Mathgeneral, South Houston is a city located in Harris County, Texas. It is part of the greater Houston metropolitan area and has a population of approximately 16,000 people. Geographically, South Houston is located in the southeastern corner of Harris County and borders the cities of Pasadena, Pearland, and Friendswood. The terrain is mostly flat with some rolling hills near the northern border. The climate in South Houston is generally hot and humid during the summer months with mild winters.
The history of South Houston dates back to its founding in 1912 when it was incorporated as a village by local land owners and developers. Since then, it has grown to become a vibrant city with an active economy and diverse population. Politically, South Houston operates under a mayor-council form of government where the mayor serves as chief executive officer while the city council oversees legislative matters.
South Houston’s economy is largely based on retail services with many small businesses operating throughout the city. Major employers include hospitals, grocery stores, restaurants, banks and other financial services companies. In addition to these businesses there are several large industrial parks that provide jobs for many residents in South Houston.
South Houston offers students several educational opportunities including several public schools operated by the Pasadena Independent School District as well as private schools such as Bishop TK Gorman Catholic School and Lutheran High School North which both offer college preparatory curriculums for students from kindergarten through 12th grade.
When it comes to landmarks in South Houston there are plenty to choose from including Dow Park which features an outdoor pool facility; Galveston Bay which offers fishing opportunities; Armand Bayou Nature Center which provides educational programs about wildlife conservation; and Spencer Highway which is home to numerous restaurants and shops along its stretch from downtown South Houston to downtown Pasadena.
Population: 15,833. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,219 (+2.4% change)
Males: 8,077 (51.0%), Females: 7,756 (49.0%)
Zip code: 77587
Median resident age: 27.5 years
Median household income: $31,924
Median house value: $50,800
Races in South Houston:
- Hispanic (77.9%)
- Other race (27.7%)
- White Non-Hispanic (19.6%)
- Two or more races (4.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Black (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (3.4%), Irish (2.5%), English (2.1%), United States (1.9%).
Land area: 3.0 square miles
South Houston, Texas is a vibrant and diverse city located in the greater Houston metropolitan area. It is home to about 20,000 people and has a population that is roughly split between White, African American, Hispanic, and Asian residents. The city has seen an influx of people from Central America and Southeast Asia over the past decade. The majority of the population speaks Spanish as their primary language. South Houston’s economy is largely based on small businesses such as restaurants, grocery stores, auto repair shops, and convenience stores which are owned by local entrepreneurs. The city also has several large employers including oil refineries, chemical plants, and medical centers. South Houston is known for its excellent schools with a high graduation rate and a strong focus on STEM education. The city also boasts numerous parks, recreational facilities, libraries and other cultural attractions which make it a great place to live for families.
For population 25 years and over in South Houston
- High school or higher: 45.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 8.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in South Houston city
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 58.4%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 7.9%
35.0% Foreign born (34.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,382 (+9.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near South Houston:
- BAYSHORE MEDICAL CENTER (about 4 miles; PASADENA, TX)
- VISTA MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; PASADENA, TX)
- IHS HOSP AT HOUSTON (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to South Houston:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 4 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 7 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 23 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
Other public-use airports nearest to South Houston:
- SKYWAY MANOR (about 10 miles; PEARLAND, TX; Abbreviation: T79)
- PEARLAND RGNL (about 10 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: LVJ)
- LA PORTE MUNI (about 13 miles; LA PORTE, TX; Abbreviation: T41)
SOUTH HOUSTON (1546 COLLEGE) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
College/University in South Houston:
- CIRCLE J BEAUTY SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 66; Location: 1611 SPENCER HWY Suite E; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to South Houston:
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 5 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 6 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 11 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 11 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-CLEAR LAKE (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,735)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 13 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
Private high school in South Houston:
- SOUTHEAST ACADEMY (Students: 68; Location: BOX 344; Grades: 8 – 12)